Alt text

Our History

Campbell Tyson celebrated 90 years in business on 1 March 2012. During those 90 years the firm has seen a considerable change in the accounting landscape, mostly due to technology, mobile communications and tax legislation (including the introduction of GST).

The firm has evolved through several amalgamations and mergers, as shown in the following timeline:

1922 E D Wilkinson commences practice in Pukekohe in the "Legal Chambers" building in lower King Street.
1924 T Felton joins E D Wilkinson in Partnership.
1925

An office is opened in the Safe Deposit Building in High Street, Auckland. E D Wilkinson becomes the Auckland Office Partner and M S Campbell remains in the Pukekohe Office.

The Auckland Office subsequently moves to the Palmerston Building (corner of Queen and Customs Streets) and later to the Dilworth Building.

1926

T Felton retires and M S Campbell is admitted to the Partnership.

The firm is renamed Wilkinson and Campbell.

1938

L W White moves from the Auckland Office to the Pukekohe Office and becomes a Partner.

The firm is renamed Wilkinson, Campbell and White.

The firm moves from lower King Street to the Knowles Building (next door but one to the Post Office, which has since been demolished and is now a park). A room is subsequently rented in lower King Street due to the increased staff numbers and the male Clerks work from there.

1939

T G Steen is admitted to the Partnership of Wilkinson, Campbell and White.

Wilkinson, Campbell and White amalgamate with the practice of A W Christmas (Auckland) and the firm is renamed Wilkinson, Campbell, Christmas and White.

M J Cooper sets up as a sole practitioner in premises at 4 King Street, Pukekohe. The premises move to "Professional Chambers" at 209 King Street a few years later.

1948 J R Tyson commences practice in offices on lower King Street, Pukekohe.
1951 J J White joins M J Cooper and Cooper White & Associates is formed.
1953

M S Campbell and L W White leave Wilkinson, Campbell, Christmas and White, by arrangement with the other Partners, to set up practice in Pukekohe as Campbell White and Co.

D S Campbell becomes a Partner of Campbell White and Co.

1954

M J Milne joins J R Tyson in Partnership under the firm name Tyson & Milne.

Tyson & Milne take up office premises in the New Zealand Dairy Company Ltd building in Roulston Street, Pukekohe.

1955

Due to the increased size of the practice, Campbell White and Co purchases a section in Hall Street (next to the then Franklin Bakeries Ltd) from Dr A T Begg and Duncan Bros (Pukekohe) Ltd erects an office building. Two additions are made to this building over time as the firm continues to grow.

1958 G W Wengdal is admitted to the Partnership of Campbell White and Co.
1959

A F Walker becomes a Partner of Tyson & Milne and the firm name becomes Tyson, Milne and Walker.

Myers & Hooper discontinue practising and Tyson, Milne and Walker absorb their clients.

Tyson, Milne and Walker later move to new offices in Legg's building in Upper King Street. In later years the Partnership moved from these premises to the ASB Building at the top of King Street, Pukekohe where a disastrous fire occurred.

1961 M J Cooper passes away.
1963 R A Kriletich is admitted to the Partnership of Cooper White & Associates.
1965 M S Campbell retires from Campbell White and Co. M S Campbell had been the agent for the Auckland Automobile Association and the NIMU (motor vehicle) Insurance Company.
1968

T J Harris is admitted to the Partnership of Campbell White and Co.

A disastrous fire takes place at Cooper White & Associates. It would take the firm nearly four years to recover.

1970

R J Kidd is admitted to the Partnership of Tyson, Milne and Walker.

P J Hanna is admitted to the Partnership of Cooper White & Associates.

1972

L W White retires from Campbell White and Co.

Cooper White & Associates relocates to the old Franklin County Council Chambers.

1973 Due to lack of office space, Campbell White and Co opens a second office in the "Central Building" on the corner of King and Hall Streets. This separate office was to be known as the "Number Two office" and remained in use until 1981.
1976 P G Muir is admitted to the Partnership of Tyson, Milne and Walker.
1977 M J Milne retires from Tyson, Milne and Walker.
1979

Campbell, White and Co amalgamates with Tyson, Milne and Walker so the two firms can achieve economies of scale and take advantage of the differing expertise of the individual Partners. The firms continue to operate out of the three buildings.

The amalgamated firm is renamed Campbell Tyson.

J R Tyson and A F Walker retire as partners and become employees of Campbell Tyson.

J J White retires and P A Raynes is admitted to the Partnership of Cooper White & Associates.

1981 Campbell Tyson unites the entire firm under one roof in a purpose-built building on the corner of Stadium Drive and Hall Street, Pukekohe.
1982 N S Gollan is admitted to the Partnership of Campbell Tyson.
1985 G W Wengdal retires from Campbell Tyson.
1988 D S Campbell retires from Campbell Tyson.
1990 N P Hicks is admitted to the Partnership of Campbell Tyson.
1997 Cooper White & Associates relocate to new premises in the Ground Floor of Professional House on Seddon Street, Pukekohe.
1999 G A Beal is admitted to the Partnership of Campbell Tyson.
2000 R J Kidd retires from Campbell Tyson.
2001 Hart Saunders & Co amalgamates with Campbell Tyson.
2002 G R Herder is admitted as a Partner to Cooper White & Associates.
2003 J B Rowsell is admitted to the Partnership of Campbell Tyson.
2004 T J Harris retires as a Partner of Campbell Tyson.
2006

P G Muir retires as a Partner of Campbell Tyson.

Campbell Tyson merges with Cooper White & Associates Ltd.

A new company, Campbell Tyson Cooper White Ltd, is formed to house the merged practices with the following Partners:

N S Gollan
N P Hicks
G A Beal
J B Rowsell
P A Raynes

R A Kriletich, P J Hanna and G R Herder retire as Partners of Cooper White & Associates Ltd and join Campbell Tyson Cooper White Ltd as Consultants.

2008 L A Sharp becomes a partner of Campbell Tyson Cooper White Ltd.
2010 P A Raynes and J B Rowsell retire from Campbell Tyson Cooper White Ltd.
2011 S K Miskell becomes a partner of Campbell Tyson Cooper White Ltd.
2012 Campbell Tyson Cooper White Ltd rebrands and changes name to Campbell Tyson Ltd.
2013

After over 30 years at premises on the corner of Stadium Drive and Hall Street, Pukekohe, Campbell Tyson Ltd relocates to new leased premises at Wesley Street, Pukekohe.

M L Robertson becomes a partner of Campbell Tyson Limited

2014

K M Shaw becomes a partner at Campbell Tyson Limited

N S Gollan retires from Campbell Tyson Limited