← Back to blog

Extreme weather: Information for businesses

Over the last few weeks many of us in the North Island have experienced extreme weather. The impact on our community has been varied, but widespread. For some of you, your homes, vehicles, possessions, and businesses have been affected.

Our team have complied some useful information below for businesses navigating this difficult time.  

Safety First

  • Take care of yourself and your employees during this time. If it’s not safe to work, don’t require them to do so. Employees may be feeling overwhelmed or anxious. Keep communicating with them – you might need to consider your leave policy.
  • If you are a landlord, get in touch with your tenant to check everyone is safe and to talk about any damage to your property.
  • If your workplace or property has been damaged by extreme weather, it may require a building assessment. Contact your local council if your building has been damaged. Read further details here. You can also ask your council for advice on how to clean up debris safely.

Financial Support

  • The Government announced it is providing an emergency financial support package to help businesses significantly affected by the recent flooding in Auckland. We will monitor this for any updates due to Cyclone Gabrielle.
  • If you or your team are affected by this emergency event, you may be eligible for a Civil Defence Payment from Work and Income. More information about who is eligible and how to apply can be found on the Work and Income website or by calling 0800 400 100.
  • Banks are offering help for businesses affected by the severe weather events. Talk to your bank to find out what assistance is available for you.  You may be able to get a temporary business overdraft, deferred payment for business credit cards or relief options for business loans.
  • For those impacted by flooding and unable to file returns or make payments on time due to the weather event, contact Inland Revenue directly or through your Campbell Tyson advisor. They may be able to remove late payment and filing penalties or make payment arrangements. They can also advise what to do if you have lost tax records due to flooding.
  • If you are in the business of farming, fishing or forestry and had a high profit in the 2022 tax year and are expecting to have less profit this year we can consider using Income Equalisation Scheme to shift profits from the 2022 tax year to 2023 tax year, alleviating tax pressure. The Adverse Event provisions which have been activated in relation the flooding and cyclone allow us to make a late deposit into the Income Equalisation Scheme and the funds are also available for an early withdrawal.

Talk to your Insurer

  • Contact your insurance company as soon as possible to advise them of any impact to your business.
  • Business insurances can cover everything from damage to premises, lost or damaged stock, equipment or goods owned by others, vehicles and cover for business interruption or loss of profits depending on the policy you have.  
  • If you rent your premises, contact your landlord and your contents insurance company.



If you are a Campbell Tyson client and are needing somewhere temporary to plug in and keep business going because your place of work has been impacted, please get in touch with your Campbell Tyson Advisor as we may be able to assist.

We hope your families and team are keeping safe and well. If you have any questions, please contact your Campbell Tyson advisor or call our 24/7 helpdesk on 0800 883 718.